this craft thing

this mini sign: polymer clay tutorial

Recently I’ve been quite obsessed with polymer clay. I’ve known about it for a long time, and I’ve made a thing or two with it before, but it wasn’t until I decided to start this whole blogging business that I discovered all the seemingly endless possibilities of polymer clay.

If you don’t know yet, polymer clay is an oven-hardened clay that stays soft and mold-able until you bake it. After you bake it, it’s quite durable and is suitable for a wide variety of projects, including, but definitely not limited to, jewellery, keychains, home decor, figurines, and on and on and on. It’s also waterproof and non-toxic, meaning you can work with it safely without worry, and put it in liquid projects such as snow globes (but don’t take my word for it, let Tommie at Polymer Clay Central tell you all about it). Sounds pretty amazing, huh?

One of the first projects that I made with polymer clay, the one I’m sharing with you today, was a commissioned project for a realtor. A friend of hers thought it would be a cute gift to give her these mini “SOLD” signs, and this is what came out of it.

20150525_114748 copy.jpg

I can’t really give you a step-to-step on this project; you just gotta cut out the pieces, paint them, then stick them together. I could, however, try my best to give you some tips and tricks that I used when making this project.

1. For the poles, I wrapped polymer clay around coffee stir-sticks to make sure that they don’t bend with the weight of the signs. After you’ve wrapped the clay around, trim off the edges cleanly, then lightly draw some lines with a sharp tool to mimic that “wood look”.
  2. I used super glue to glue everything together.
  3. I used a small sharp tool (like a toothpick) to paint on all the tiny little letters. It takes a lot longer than a paintbrush, but is so much more precise.
  4. Especially if your pieces are white or lightly coloured, be very careful not to burn the clay by baking it for too long (strictly follow the instructions on the packaging).

Other than those tips, it’s really just a matter of being really patient and delicate with your work, so it turns out just how you like it!

Feel free to ask me any question, and I will try my best to answer them!

Related Posts

11 Comments

yearlonguturn
    March 19, 2016 at 7:17 pm

So cool. My realtor friends would love something like this.

Mohamed Kaza
    May 23, 2016 at 7:22 am

I will right away snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Angel
      May 24, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Hello, thanks for the message! You can find the subscribe button on the home page, right hand side πŸ™‚

Kill
    June 9, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I seriously love your blog.. Very nice colors & theme.

Did you make this site yourself? Please reply back as I’m looking to create my own personal
    blog and would love to find out where you got this from or
    exactly what the theme is named. Thanks!

Angel
      June 9, 2016 at 7:21 pm

That’s very nice of you to say! I’m using a theme called Findcools Version: 1.0.7, by iwebdc πŸ™‚

Epifania
    August 6, 2016 at 4:01 am

Superb post.Ne’er knew this, appreciate iit for letting me know.

J
    August 15, 2016 at 5:17 am

You have mentioned very interesting details! ps nice web
    site.

Axis-Residential-Treatment
    April 27, 2017 at 6:07 pm

I think this is among the most significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is
    wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

August 2, 2017 at 1:42 pm

awesome and you are so cute

Angel
      September 11, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Thanks very much! I’m glad you enjoyed the page!

www.modeltasransel.com
    August 26, 2017 at 7:37 am

I do not comment, but I browsed a few remarks on some tips
    on working with polymer clay | also there’s this.

I actually do have a couple of questions for
    you if it’s allright. Could it be only me or does it look like like a few of the responses come across like
    they are written by brain dead folks? πŸ˜› And, if you are posting at other sites,
    I would like to follow everything new you have to post.

Would you list of the complete urls of your shared sites like your Facebook page,
    twitter feed, or linkedin profile?